I had the chance to change the steering rack on my friends crx last weekend. His old one was loose and making a lot of clunking noises. It was a pretty easy job and it sounds like it's a pretty common problem so I figured I would post it here. you'll need a a bunch of metric sockets with some extensions and some side cutters to remove the cotter pins in the outer tie rods.
First of all, jack the car up off the ground, enough so you can crawl under it. After you have it up in the air, take off the wheels.
www.rockauto.com. I was very impressed with the quality of the parts and would recommend buying from them. The prices are almost too good to believe and they are great to work with. If you have a few days to wait to get your parts because they are all shipped, this is a good place to go.
If you don't have a rivet gun now is the time to whack them with a hammer and they will pop out off the steering knuckle.
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Well, it sounds like a Victory motorcycle anyways. I got my buddy to weld up the exhaust because he's a lot better welder than me. He did an awesome job and they look good.
I took a video of the engine running but I have spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to get it on here. Obviously you can tell I haven't figured out how to get it to work. I guess my techno savyness is really lacking. I will have to try to get my 10 year old to do it for me. So one bug is back up and running. I am cleaning up the new/old beam for Ed and I hope to get it in the car soon. I have some welding to do on it and then I need to paint it. Check it out a little later.
Saturday, July 7, 2012
Well, I decided to extend my garage today and work on Ed. I wanted to get the front beam pulled out and assess the damage to it. It was a pretty hot day so we set up the canopy to shade the front of the bug. It worked really good. I got side tracked today hunting some voles that decided they liked our tulip bulbs but I was able to kill the voles (hopefully) and get the beam out. The beam was damaged beyond repair and I really feel kind of bad about it. The way I look at it, Ed had this front beam under him for 43 years and it served him really well until I come along and lower him and then run him into a construction plate. Hmm. Maybe I should raise him back up. If I did that he wouldn't look nearly as cool as he does lowered. I think I will keep him lowered.
Monday, July 2, 2012
I was able to remove the exhaust of the baja and got it ready to install the motorcycle exhaust I got for it. I am hoping it will look good and that it will quiet down the engine. It's really obnoxious now and it also looks really bad. I used a cutoff wheel to cut off the old glasspacks.